Advocacy and Legislation
March 9, 2020 – Urgent Action Needed!
The KY House of Representatives has passed a budget bill in which the allocation for gifted and talented education is at $6,208,400.
Although we are pleased that the House has continued the allocation for gifted students without a cut, the allocation represents thirty years of flat funding. KAGE has been lobbying for $10.5 million in the first year and $15.2 million in the second year of the biennium.
The budget bill now goes to the Senate. We must let Senate Leadership know of the great need for an increase in the allocation for gifted and talented education.
Please read below and take action:
- Please see the list below of Senate Leadership.
- Call the legislative hotline: 1-800-372-7181
- Tell the receptionist that you want the message (below) to be sent to your Senator. The counties served by each senator are underneath his/her name.
- Please email your colleagues and parents of gifted students about the urgent need to contact Senate Leadership. Briefly explain that GT funding has been flat for the past 30 years. You may forward this email. Each Senator needs to receive no less than 10 messages. The more he or she receives, the greater the urgency of the need is understood.
Senator Robert Stivers II (R) – Senate President – Clay, Knox, Lee, Owsley, Whitley, Wolfe
Senator David P. Givens (R) – President Pro Tempore – Allen, Barren, Green, Metcalfe, Monroe, Simpson
Senator Damon Thayer (R) Majority Floor Leader – Grant, Kenton (Part), Scott
Senator Julie Raque Adams (R) Majority Caucus Chair – Jefferson (Part)
Senator Mike Wilson (R) Majority Whip – Warren
Senator Morgan McGarvey (D) Minority Floor Leader – Jefferson (Part)
Senator Johnny Ray Turner (D) Minority Caucus Chair – Floyd, Harlan, Knott, Letcher
Senator Dennis Parrett (D) Minority Whip – Hardin, Jefferson (Part)
Senator Christian McDaniel (R), Chair, Standing Committee – Appropriations & Revenue – Kenton (Part)
Senator Stan Humphries (R) – Vice Chair, Standing Committee – Appropriations & Revenue – Calloway, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Lyon, Trigg
Senator Alice Forgy Kerr (R) – Chair, Senate Standing Committee – BR Subcommittee on Education – Fayette (Part)
Senator Max Wise (R) Chair, Senate Standing Committee – Education – Adair, Clinton, Cumberland, McCreary, Russell, Taylor, Wayne
Senator Stephen West Vice Chair, Senate Standing Committee – Education – Bourbon, Fleming, Harrison, Lewis, Mason, Nicholas, Robertson, Rowan
Read this message:
- Increase funding for Gifted and Talented Education.
- $10.5 million in the first year of the biennium and $15.2 million in the second year
Thank you for the few minutes you will take to make these calls. They can have a huge impact on funding for gifted education in Kentucky.
Thank you for being an advocate for gifted and talented children.